New Words for Your Vocabulary: Learn Them Quick
The notion that one has to look up all the necessary words in a flash is seriously outdated. In fact, you don’t have to play by the book to become an effective learner. We suggest the strategy that will allow you to get away from the rules and mark the unknown words even more correctly. First, this has to do with the method, known as the educated guess. It has been popularized by the university culture, and now, it is taking over the academic world.
Surely, there is always an option for looking up that word. This is a confirmation of guesses that have been offered previously, but they don’t have to be repetitive. We encourage the learners to find their own inspiration with the tasks and never rely on the tactic that implies the dictionary is the only way. Unlike other scholars, who acknowledge the long vocabulary list as being proper, we put forward a revolutionary solution.
- Read the word several times. We often make the mistake of not thinking about the definition of the term, when the answer might be right under your nose. To prevent this, sound out the word as loud as you can and see if that has any impact on the workings of the mind.
- Analyze the structure of the word. Some words may have prefixes and suffixes that will show you the way to self-discovering terms. Mainly, these familiar definitions can be a part of the passage or stand out more than the structural changes. Do not be afraid to push the boundaries and present the word in an unexpected way.
- See the context and the way it is placed in the sentence. Many of us have a negative habit of omitting the context. This means that we are not sure whether the word coincides with the location in the narrative. Authors are the tricky ones: they can use informal styles, jargon, or terms that seem to have no connection to the previous sentence. However, there is no need to worry: see how the passage continues and make up your mind from there.
- Search for the relevant meaning in the classic dictionary. We understand that it is hard to pay attention to detail when you are head over heels with the characters in the text. Yet, it is important to check out the glossary list to get the atmosphere right. Moreover, there are specialists who actually prefer to skim through the whole entry and then spot a word that looks familiar. This approach allows you to reinforce the position as a reader and see between the lines.
- Make margins in the text according to the structure specific. This is a clever way to deal with the paragraph division and look up the meaning without pausing every second or two. You don’t have to analyze every word that is coming your way. Most students are using highlighting tools to fix the issue, but we recommend writing down the definitions in case you need to check around later. The guessing game is an option only if you are inclined to become separated from the story plot. Understanding the text is more important than grasping the meaning of a new term.
Reading the Dictionary Entry for Personal Use
The Dictionary is certainly the eventual step in the game of finding a definition. When you are done with sanctioning words and authorizing explanations for them, it may turn out that the prospects are not as clear as they seemed a minute ago. The text is full of words that require additional comprehension, and the teacher sets out a task to follow. We would like to remind the students that the dictionary entry has to be studied thoroughly in order to understand how the system works.
However, learning a new word and writing it down is not the end of the story. When you have completed the first stage of getting to know the vocabulary, it has to become a part of the active store words. According to the specialists, these are the words that we use most frequently. They may not be as common as informal slang, but they will definitely come in handy when writing an essay. Still, the most efficient way to expand the vocabulary without burning holes in the pockets is reading. Even if you are not a fan of classic novels, you can choose a popular magazine or a newspaper to get started. This will take you where you need to go without the extra trouble. Also, the newspapers are filled with terms that are generally used in everyday speech.
Be sure that you can return to the cards and say the words out loud to memorize the pronunciation. Those who are studying foreign languages and feeling like they have lost a thread also need to apply digital tools for a more effective treatment. The words that belong to the active vocabulary are the ones that become the driving force in the narrative, even though it may not look like so in the beginning. Skim through the cards occasionally and put the definitions in a sentence with something you already know. If you can name the object without looking at the card, you have our blessing: the learning routine has turned out to be successful.