Microbeads. Why Are They So Dangerous?
The danger of microbeads to the environment and a human being
Plastic microbead is a category of microplastics which many countries are planning to ban. The reason for this is that the consumption of them is harmful to our body and can be risky to our lives in general.
Scientists warn us that if the proper actions are not taken, the consequences may be disastrous for the humankind. They call it a toxic time bomb that can cause a disaster if the process of chemicals getting into the ocean is not stopped. Let’s delve into the issue deeper and find out whether there is a positive way out.
What are plastic microbeads?
Plastic microbeads are particles which are usually smaller than one millimeter in dimension. They can be composed of different chemicals but mostly they are made of polyethylene, polypropylene, polystyrene, polymethyl and nylon.
Mainly, microbeads can be found in many household, cosmetic and personal care products such as face wash, cleansers, shower gels, exfoliates and even toothpaste.
Why plastic microbeads are harmful?
Plastic microbeads bring a huge hazard to human health since they are toxic. They contain chemicals, which are dangerous and can become a reason for an array of illnesses. The consumption of these chemicals can potentially cause disastrous results.
How plastic microbeads get into our body?
- Plastic microbeads found in many cosmetic and personal care products escape from the water treatment plant and exit into the waterways
- Microplastics float around in the water and tend to absorb toxic chemicals
- Microbeads are ingested by sea creatures and the toxins end up transferred into their tissues
- Marine creatures get caught and eventually they appear on our plate
- We consume the products containing dangerous toxins and this causes a range of health problems
What can be done to avoid a danger?
Many countries started working actively on the issue and a number of big companies decided to stop using microbeads in their products. The process is in its beginning stage and on a larger scale, a full legal ban is required on an international level since the pollution does not have borders.
At some point, smoking was considered to be safe but when studies revealed how detrimental it is to the body, it was too late for many people. The same situation might happen with the pollution of the water by the plastic microbeads.
The full extent of the toxicity is unknown at this point but there are many pieces of evidence which show that plastic microbeads are something that should not be present in our meals. Starting early can prevent many health issues and save the lives of many people. Let’s take action now since being indifferent will cost us dearly.