How to create an effective application essay
Students who are going to enter the higher educational establishments are bothered by lots of questions. How to get to the college of their dream? Is the high score rating enough? How important is your application? The issue with score rating is quite clear while the question of an application essay is a controversial one.
You can find various opinions concerning it on the Internet. Some students are sure that this essay has no matter while others claim it plays the biggest role and strictly influences the decision of a committee. So, what`s right here?
An admission essay, as well as score rating is equally important. Still, examiners pay special attention to your admission essay. For instance, when they decide which student to take, they pay much attention to what you have written. The main thing for you is to take the writing of an application essay seriously. You are to write it carefully, taking into consideration all the nuances and details. Sometimes it can be difficult to create something special from the first try. So, you may look for some useful tips, which will provide you with some writing tricks. We have prepared for you some useful information to look through before sitting down to your application essay writing.
How does an effective admission essay look like?
Presenting your real self to the college committee is an important feature of a good application essay. You shouldn`t imagine how they want you to look like but you are to be honest. You shouldn`t insert all the good features to create an ideal person in your essay. Be yourself, this attracts. An admission essay is aimed at presenting a real person to them, not an imaginary one. Remember this while working on your essay. Moreover, when you are done, ask your friends, teachers or relatives to read your application essay and check whether the information there describes certainly you. Colleges aren`t looking for ideal students. They want students who are unique, who can treat themselves in an appropriate way and have skills that fit the studying requirements. There`s no reason to add some features, skills that you don`t own.
Let`s look through the information you should whether include or avoid in your admission essay.
Writing a good application essay
- Take a separate sheet of paper and write down all your skills, knowledge and features. Look through them carefully and make out which of them you would like the committee to know about you. If you are funny, smart, if you are fond of sports or music, then include this into your admission essay. You should feel what to tell the committee. Highlight the things you would tell them in real life conversation.
- There`s no need to tell the whole story of your life. Pick up the moments, which have influenced your personal growth, the development of your skills, which helped you to realize some important principals in your life. You are to be brief and specific here. Choose the events, which influenced you the most and this is important for your studying.
- Sometimes you can get stuck with essay writing. It`s ok, you don`t need to force yourself. If nothing comes up to your mind, then interview your parents or friends concerning your features. You can ask them to describe you with adjectives only. This will give you the entire image of your personality. Take enough time to think on your essay and guide your ideas in an appropriate way.
- There can be no doubt about using clichés, curse words and slang in your admission essay. If these words are included, then you are most likely to be rejected immediately. Try to sound natural and simple, using everyday conversational tone.
- If there are people who play an important role in your life and influence your development, then you can include some information in your application essay. But it`s you who should take the central position. Contain the information about someone else in one paragraph maximum.
You can write a good application essay if you pull yourself together and follow your dream to enter the higher education establishment.