Many believe that the longer or harder words they use, the better their text will be. If we follow various studies, we’ll see that it’s not the case. The use of complex words and sentence constructions makes you quite a small-minded writer. You wouldn’t want to be someone like that, would you? So, to make a first good impression as an author and attract your audience, try following these simple but essential writing tips:
Choose topics you are interested in
When you’re interested in something, it’s much faster and easier to write about it. If you choose a topic that is against your worldview or you find it boring, you will write texts that will be meaningless. Search for your ideal subject as long as you need. Save them. Select topics that resonate the most with you and only then can you share your thoughts about them.
Be precise with your words and thoughts
Compare these sentences:
- I buy journals every day.
- I buy fashion journals like Vogue or Vanity Fair every Monday before work.
As you can see, the second sentence is more informative and can steer some interest from a reader.
If your target audience is serious scientists and professors, then, yes, you need to use complex words. In other cases, show that you are smart not with long words but with the meaning and ideas you’re trying to share.
- Use – usage
- Consider – take into account
- Commence – start
Don’t write long sentences
As a rule, readers tend to get lost in a sentence if it’s too long. So, the rule is simple. One thought – one sentence. In addition, you can try reading sentences aloud. When they get too long, you will probably start to stumble upon words.
Avoid passive voice
We understand that there are cases when you can’t avoid passive voice. But in general, the active voice is more natural for the English language. On the other hand, passive voice makes sentences harder to perceive. As a result, your readers may lose their interest in your writing.
- I washed my car today. – Active voice
- My car was washed by me today. – Passive voice
Avoid writing long paragraphs
If you open any newspaper, you’ll see that they have short paragraphs. This way, readers take in new information much better and quicker. Try to avoid putting two ideas in a paragraph.
Delete unnecessary words
We also call them ‘fluff words’. These words may sound and look good in a sentence. But if you erase them, they won’t change it’s meaning.
She was a very pretty young lady. Still, her life was rather empty. – She was a pretty young lady. Still, her life was empty.
Stick to your topic
If you write about whales’ endangerment, don’t change the topic in the middle of the writing. Also, don’t go into broader ideas. They will only mislead your readers.
Try not to repeat your thoughts
If you repeat yourself, your reader will think you have nothing to share or don’t care about the topic and will close the article as quickly as possible. To avoid repetition, try to create broad article plans. This way, you won’t get lost in the maze of redundant thoughts.
This tip relates mainly to the words you use. You may think that if you use more qualitative adjectives, your noun will become better. But it’s not the case. You’re not in a school where teachers ask to write more. Quantity doesn’t mean quality. Try to put yourself in the place of your reader. Do you want to read an article where too many adjectives, adverbs distract you from the reading? I think you won’t want this website again.
These easy, smart, effective and checked tips will change your life forever. – These smart tips will change your life forever.
Be a strict editor of your texts
Try to be partial to your writing. Remove, shorten, and even rewrite parts of words that seem not in the right place. Moreover, write brilliant text in the chosen style. If it is an academic article, don’t go putting their slang words.
To make your writing process easier, split it into three easy steps:
- Write your text without any editing.
- Leave it for several hours/days.
- Return to it and finally edit it.
40 extra tips for your writing
Do you already know all these tips and want to know more? Then prepare for some additional recommendations which you can try.
- Do not think too much of what and how you have written.
- Do not mix several ideas in one sentence.
- Try to write every day.
- Read extra material if you need inspiration.
- Use your phone for quick notes to remember ideas.
- Or you can buy a pen and a small notepad if you like to write down ideas in an old-fashioned way.
- Don’t forget to backup your ideas on your computer or cloud storage.
- Don’t be shy to write down ideas while you’re talking to someone.
- Try to share your ideas with others.
- Pay attention to how they react to them.
- Look for exciting topics.
- Try brainstorming before making a plan and writing.
- Ask people’s opinions for fresh points of view.
- Try listening to related podcasts.
- Or watch videos on YouTube on the same topic.
- Find out the time of day when you feel the most inspired and motivated.
- Make your writing a habit. Write at the same time every day.
- Tidy up the place where you write.
- Learn your target audience.
- Don’t be afraid to try new words.
- Search for the right words.
- Always outline your main ideas.
- Experiment with text structure.
- Don’t be afraid to change headlines in the middle of the writing process.
- Don’t forget to make subheadlines intriguing.
- Get rid of useless bullet points.
- Look at the works of other writers.
- Don’t be afraid to create a chaotic draft.
- Take breaks
- Then improve your work with a clear mind.
- While editing text, always remember about your readers.
- Your writing language should be complex.
- Always make sure you don’t use confusing words or phrases.
- Make your explanations short.
- But also make some thoughts more detailed when needed.
- Try to turn your text into entertainment for your reader.
- If you have an unpopular opinion, share it.
- Share new thoughts and ideas.
- Add other forms of content to your article
- Motivate your readers to share your thoughts with others.
Now you have a lot of tips to try in your writing. Don’t try incorporating them all at once. You’ll probably get confused. Start small, and soon you’ll have great results. Good luck!